Monday, January 16, 2006

Jerry Kellar's Best of 2005 and 2006 Prediction

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/sports/13598065.htm

Jerry Kellar is an opinion columnist at the Times-Leader in Wilkes-Barre, PA- my birthplace.

Overall, I agree with his sentiments. During an 11-1 season, I find it odd that he picked the one loss as the best game. I would say Ohio State was the best game. The defense really buckled down in that one never really even gave the Buckeyes a chance to score late in the game. I don't buy the theory of a transition to the 3-4. There needs to be an outstanding DT who can anchor the line in the middle. While Jay Alford is an outstanding DT, he's not big enough to be a 3-4 DT. The rest of the DT's are either too inexperienced or too small. If PSU lands DT Phillip Taylor in this year's class, he would be a good candidate to anchor a 3-4 defense. He is, to say the least, a large individual.

The prediction (9-4, Citrus Bowl) seems reasonable to me. I have higher expectations and I think the team can meet them but in a "rebuilding/reloading" year in 2006, I think most PSU fans would be happy with 9 wins and a trip to Orlando for the New Year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home